Job & Internship Search
Preparation, research, and persistence are key to an effective and successful job or internship search. The Career Development Center is here to help you every step of the way! Offering workshops, career guides, handouts, and other resources, our goal is to ease the stress of navigating a job or internship search. Our team of career coaches are also available for individual appointments to help you build and implement a tailored strategy that will lead to success.
The Career Development Center utilizes Handshake, an online career management platform. Handshake provides 24/7 access to thousands of nationwide job and internship opportunities posted by employers specifically seeking to recruit Loyola students and alumni. This powerful tool helps students locate opportunities and build meaningful careers. Handshake also serves as a database for all of our resources and contains a calendar of recruiting opportunities ranging from large-scale career fairs, virtual and on-campus information sessions, and much more. Make sure to login and customize your profile today! Customizing your profile will help Handshake connect you with the right opportunities.
Strong application materials are an essential part of any job or internship search. Strategic, tailored, and error-free application materials help distinguish yourself as a qualified candidate and land an interview.
- Learn more about the art of Resume Writing to help you stand out from the crowd.
- Compose compelling Cover Letters to differentiate yourself from the competition and impress employers.
- Craft a reference list by using Strategic References.
- If your industry needs examples of your work, make sure your portfolio is updated.
- Be sure to stay organized throughout the job search - keep track of the opportunities you want/have applied to.
- Always follow up with a Thank You Note. This solidifies your interest and commitment to a position and will not go unnoticed by the organization.
- Handshake: Loyola's career platform for students to search for job & internship opportunities nationwide.
- CareerShift: Search engine with refined search tools to help job seekers successfully uncover the "hidden" job market.
- WorkNOLA: Employment opportunities specific to the Greater New Orleans area.
- USAJobs.gov: The best resource for information on federal jobs. USAJobs features up-to-date postings from a variety of professional fields and a wide number of government agencies.
- LinkedIn.com: Search and browse job postings from a wide variety of companies. New to LinkedIn? Here's a quick guide to get you started.
- Idealist.org: A large job board with information on a wide variety of internships, nonprofit jobs, and volunteer opportunities throughout the world.
- GlassDoor.com: This site gives would-be employees a glimpse of what life is like at 160,000 companies. Provides salary information as well as user-contributed reviews.
- CoolWorks.com: An ideal job board for students/graduates looking for short-term seasonal opportunities with a primary focus on outdoor and hospitality/tourism settings.
- CollegeRecruiter.com: Links college students/graduates with employers looking to hire for entry-level jobs.
- Internships.com: Resources for students seeking internships and ways to gain hands-on experience.
- Internships Abroad: Resources for students looking for opportunities to intern abroad.
- GoinGlobal: Helps new and experienced job seekers find opportunities both at home and abroad. As the market leader in online career and employment resources for more than 16 years, this website has helped millions of new and experienced professionals expand their horizons.
Did you know that some experts estimate that upwards of 80% of all jobs are filled through networking? If you are looking for your next job or internship opportunity, putting time into cultivating and nurturing your network is an important strategy.
- Learn more about recognizing, expanding, and nurturing your network.
- Check out these Email Networking Templates that will help you network like a pro.
- Connect with Loyola alumni that want to serve as a career mentor. Click here to learn about Loyno Career Mentors.
- Conduct informational interviews - these are strategic interviews that allow you to talk with people in your career field of interest to learn what working in that field would be like.
- Practice your elevator pitch for when you are meeting new industry contacts or navigating a career fair.
Career readiness is how students exhibit the essential skills that prepare them for success in the workplace. It is also the foundation upon which a successful career is launched. Career readiness is, quite simply, the new career currency.
There are eight career readiness competencies, each of which can be demonstrated in a variety of ways. Click to learn more about the 8 Career Readiness Competencies and see if you are career ready!
The Career Development Center is a proud member of the Jesuit Career Center Consortium. One benefit of being a part of this consortium is that Loyola University New Orleans students are eligible to receive reciprocal services from Career Centers at other Jesuit colleges and universities across the country. Contact our office and we will submit a formal request on your behalf asking that they provide services while you prepare for a job or internship search their geographical area. Reciprocal services may vary by institution but can include access to their job/internship board, career fairs, workshops/seminars, and other resources.
The 28 Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States are located in 18 states and the District of Columbia. The institutions range from major research universities to comprehensive universities; from smaller colleges and universities that combine the liberal arts and professional studies to one strictly liberal arts college. (Click here for a list of graduate and professional programs offered by all Jesuit institutions).