First-Time Federal Work Study Student Orientation
Welcome to the Federal Work Study Program! In order to participate in the program this year, you must complete the orientation outlined below. This orientation will help you navigate your first year in the program and provide important information like how to find and apply to available Federal Work Study (FWS) positions, what to do after you have received a job offer, and how you will be paid. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule an appointment with the Student Employment Coordinator here.
Welcome to the Federal Work Study Program. Watch the video below to begin the First-Time Federal Work Study Student Orientation.
Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federal financial aid work program funded by Loyola University New Orleans and the United States Department of Education. Loyola University New Orleans administers the FWS program in accordance with the laws, federal regulations, and instructions issued by or on behalf of the Department of Education, as well as its own institutional policies. The program provides students with demonstrated financial need the opportunity to apply for and obtain jobs where they can earn money to help with tuition and expenses as well as gain valuable work experience and develop career ready skills.
Your eligibility to participate in the Federal Work Study Program is determined yearly based on the information you provide on the FAFSA and is awarded in your Federal Financial Aid Package. To view your award, login to LORA (via SSO) and click "Financial Aid Online" under the Financial Aid option.
After applying to for the available FWS positions that interest you, be sure to regularly check your @my.loyno.edu email. Federal Work Study Supervisors will email you to schedule brief interviews. Be sure to respond in a timely manner to schedule your interview.
Once you have received an offer letter and decided what position you would like to take, take the following steps:
- Email the supervisor listed on your offer letter to let them know you accept the position.
- Complete the First-Time Federal Work Study Student Orientation and Quiz. You are doing this now!
- Complete all required student pre-employment paperwork.
- Complete the 2021/2022 COVID Mitigation Training and Quiz in Canvas.
- Bring your completed student pre-employment paperwork, a printed copy of your offer letter, and appropriate identification to one of the following:
- September 16-17 (Thursday, Friday) and 20-22 (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday): No appointment necessary! Drop into the Gallery on the lower (basement) level of the Danna Student Center anytime between 10am-4pm for Pre-Employment Paperwork & Processing
- Before September 16 or after September 22: Schedule a 1-on-1 appointment with Human Resources at https://loynohr.youcanbook.me. All appointments will take place in-person in Mercy 102.
Please note: you may not begin working before ALL of these steps have been completed.
In the video below, Human Resources will share important information about pre-employment paperwork & processing, timesheets, and payroll. Links to important documents are below
- Required pre-employment paperwork
- Identification requirements for pre-employment paperwork & processing
- Payroll schedule
Federal Work Study (FWS) student employees may be terminated from their job. Reasons for termination include (but are not limited to):
- Excessive tardiness and/or absences
- Failing to notify your supervisor when you are unable to come into work
- Falsifying information on your timesheet
- Unauthorized disclosure of confidential information
- Continued, ongoing unsatisfactory job performance
- Failure to comply with departmental/office rules and regulations
- Unsatisfactory GPA
Each Spring your supervisor will complete a formal evaluation of your performance. However, your supervisor should provide you with consistent and ongoing feedback throughout the year. If you have questions about your performance, feel free to check in with your supervisor at any time.
You may cancel your federal work study award or position at any time. To cancel your federal work study award or position, please complete the form found here. **You must be logged into your loyola gmail account to access this form**
If you have any questions about the Federal Work Study Program, please contact the Student Employment Coordinator, Emir Bailey, at email@example.com. To schedule an appointment with Emir, click here.
If you have any questions about your financial aid award, please contact Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org or 504-865-3231. To schedule an appointment with Financial Aid, click here.
To successfully complete the First-Time Federal Work Study Student Orientation, please take this quiz. This quiz is "open book and notes" so you may reference the First-Time Federal Work Study Student Orientation website and any notes you have while completing the quiz, but you must complete the quiz for yourself and on your own. Falsifying information or taking this quiz for someone else constitutes a violation of Loyola University New Orleans honor code and student code of conduct.
**You must be logged into your loyola gmail account to access this form**