Prepare the Pack: Internship Intensive
We want each member of the Wolf Pack to have the opportunity to gain meaningful experiences outside the classroom that complements what they are learning inside the classroom – and at the very least, an experience that helps prepare them for work as an emerging professional.
For this purpose, Prepare the Pack was created. Through this program, you will be equipped with the foundational skills necessary to help secure an experiential learning opportunity and feel confident in your professional career journey.
Prepare the Pack is offered during the academic year - the Fall semester is exclusively for Sophomore standing students and the Spring semester is open to all years.
Each Prepare the Pack cohort will complete four (4) foundational prep sessions packed with content necessary for successfully obtaining a meaningful internship.
To participate in the program, interested Sophomores need simply apply. Students will then be contacted by the Career Center with additional program details.
The deadline to apply is Monday, September 12, 2022 - click here to indicate your interest in the program.
The following is an outline of each session in the program:
First Prep Session: Let's Get Ready to Intern
- Introduction to the Prepare the Pack program
- The case for internships: who, what, where, when, why
- Career Competencies
- Activity: Brainstorm internship ideas, career goals, action plan
- In-Person option Tuesday, Sept 13th @ 12:30pm in Monroe Library - Multimedia Rm 1
- Virtual option Thursday, Sept 15th @ 4:00pm via Zoom
Second Prep Session: Putting the Best You on Paper
- Preparing your marketing materials
- Building a powerhouse resume
- Drafting a compelling cover letter
- In-Person option Tuesday, Oct 4th @ 12:30pm in Monroe Library - Multimedia Rm 1
- Virtual option Thursday, Oct 6th @ 4:00pm via Zoom
Third Prep Session: Where Do I Find an Internship?
- Internship search strategies
- Best place to look for a meaningful internship
- Getting creative with internship ideas
- In-Person option Tuesday, Oct 25th @ 12:30pm in Monroe Library - Multimedia Rm 1
- Virtual option Thursday, Oct 27th @ 4:00pm via Zoom
Final Prep Session: Leave Them No Choice But to Hire You
- Ace the interview - interview strategies
- What to expect when interviewing
- Wrap up - Question & Answer
- In-Person option Tuesday, Nov 15th @ 12:30pm in Monroe Library - Multimedia Rm 1
- Virtual option Thursday, Nov 17th @ 4:00pm via Zoom
Each prep session will last approximately 45-50 minuets and be offered twice a semester. All participants will be expected to attend each session or make up content with a career coach. Program participants who complete all 4 sessions will receive a certificate of completion and entered into a raffle to receive $100 Wolf Bucks.
WHO is eligible to participate in Prepare the Pack?
- All undergraduate students who are enrolled at Loyola University New Orleans may participate.
- Fall Semester: Sophomore standing students only
- Spring Semester: Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior standing students
WHAT will this program offer me?
Foundational skills necessary for securing an internship or similar career related experience.
Amp up your professional skills.
WHERE will the program take place?
- Each session will be facilitated twice each semester: once in-person and once virtually via Zoom. In-person sessions will be held in the Monroe Library Seminar Room 1.
- Students only need to attend one session.
WHEN should I start Prepare the Pack?
- Now! It's never too early to start thinking about internship opportunities.
WHY should I participate?
- Prepare the Pack is designed to set you up for success to land a meaningful internship. Internships grant you exposure to the inner workings of your chosen industry. They let you behind the scenes to get a taste for the specific knowledge and everyday practices that a job could require. You get the benefit of seeing trained professionals complete tasks you might otherwise might only read about, and you’ll get a chance to try tasks out yourself.
Participants of the program have gone on to received offers from organizations such as Keller Williams, Environmental Business Specialists, Merrill Lynch, and Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans, among many others.
Here is what students have said about their experiences:
"My biggest takeaway from this program is that career readiness gives me an amazing sense of confidence that will only grow from this experience on. Receiving professional advice and guidance from working professionals makes me feel ready to walk into my next internship opportunity feeling prepared. I feel more ready than before to hand in an acceptable resume, answer interview questions, and get started on a new experience. I am excited to see what else I will learn in the future."
- Kennedy Garrett, Sociology with a concentration in Social Justice & Inequality
"This program has really helped me in the internship searching process. I wasn't sure where to start, and it helped me narrow down my search to fit my career goals. I'm hoping to go into the entertainment industry in some manner, and after completing the program, I was able to pretty easily find a few internships that fit my interests, and was accepted into three of them before deciding on one that I'd be doing for the spring semester."
-Chloe Bernier, Mass Communication
"My experience this summer gave me a better understanding in my journey towards career readiness. I was pleased to see that my work in school has properly prepared me for the workplace in which I strive to be a part of. This being said, I also learned valuable wastewater-specific content that would only be discovered by working in the industry."
– Skylar McLeod, Environmental Science